Handsome Coffee Roasters in Downtown LA

What a funny place to have a coffee shop but guess what, it was packed when I went this afternoon. There's a great vibe there and the staff were super nice. Yesterday, I was at Balconi and Ray served this jubilant coffee called "Burundi Kayanza Gatare Lot II", roasted by Handsome Coffee Roasters. This coffee was fruit-packed with wacky dancing hues and had a number of levels or voyages. It was a party of a coffee and woke up more sections of my taste buds than I am used to coffee waking up. So, of course, today, I just had to go to Handsome Coffee Roasters, 582 Mateo St., LA CA 90013, 213-621-4194. The exterior is like an old school cafe with open windows and an outdoor seating area. The lettering is retro but reductive. Inside is a warm but not dark interior design of glass, copper, concrete, gray tile and cool details. I especially like these Prohibition looking lamps they have, kind of industrial but institutional. They also have the amazing roasting machine which you can find out more about on their website. I ordered a cup of their "Rutsiro" roast. Not unlike the Gatare, this coffee had a fruity glow with a deep roast dive. I kept smelling this amazing richness of colors. Unfortunately, I also ordered a chocolate chip cookie from Atwater-based Proof, which was fantastic but too much with the coffee. I realized this quickly so I put the coffee down, finished the cookie, drank water to extinguish most of the cookie's aftershock and then continued drinking the coffee. But, I'll tell you, that was a decadent pairing and I am probably going to pay for it tonight. Most of all, what a wonderful place. It's definitely my fav on this side of town. Yay to new favs!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts