House of Sake in Walnut Creek CA




I was driving around on my first day in WC, scouting for places to eat near our hotel and my eye super focused on a sign that said House of Sake. They are located at 313 North Civic Drive, Walnut Creek CA 94596, 925-930-8811. So, when I saw that sign, the understated design, the little building receded into the property, I had extremely high hopes for this place. I was envisioning an assortment of fine sake; rows of bottles, some not even labeled, chilled, with those little cards in front of each bottle rating it's sweetness or dryness. Well, we did go and when I walked in and sat down with our entourage, I quickly started to realize that this was actually a family restaurant, run by folks who didn't know anything about sake. YIKES! My first clue was when I called to make reservations and they had a hard time spelling my last name. Ha ha! So they come to take our drink order and I sheepishly ask if they have any dry sake. They came back with a small little bottle, the type you buy in the coin machines in Japan. OUCH! The food is decent but not incredible. It's kind of like the iHop of Japanese food. It is was it is. I really think they should change the name of the restaurant, though.

Comments

Popular Posts