Buckhorn Exchange in Denver Colorado










I took a short vacation this weekend. I went to go visit friends in Denver. The first night, I met Glenn, who moved there a couple of years ago for a job. This was the first time I went to go visit. It was cold, in the low 20's. He asked where did I want to go eat and I said the Buckhorn Exchange, Denver's oldest restaurant. Theodore Roosevelt ate there. I saw this place on Man VS. Food, Travel Channel. They are into "meat", frontier style. The two story interior is wall to wall taxidermy heads, cases of old rifles and muskets. They have a great bar, I had a local IPA. We ordered the appetizer you have to order when you are there, Rocky Mountain Oysters (Fried Ox Balls). At first, I enjoyed how they went well with my IPA and tasted like a gamey calamari but soon my mind couldn't stomach what they were and I had to stop eating them. I'm glad I tried them but it's a rough sell for me. Glenn and I ordered combos and shared buffalo, quail, salmon and elk. It was all very delicious, fresh and rich. I suspect if I hadn't had the ox balls, I would have been able to finish it all but, well, I did ok. When it was time for dessert, I couldn't resist so we shared an chocolate pie with vanilla. I was in denver for three fantastic nights and this was the dinner the first night. This and perhaps the combination of the altitude sort of messed me up. I didn't eat meat for the next two days and I didn't have the sensation of hunger till the plane touched the tarmac at LAX. The Buckhorn Exchange is a must. It's a tremendous eating experience. They are located at 1000 Osage Street, Denver CO

Comments

Popular Posts