Kotohira in Gardena




Nostalgic to da bone, Kotohira is located at 1747 West Redondo Beach Blvd, Gardena CA 90247, 310-323-3966. It's in a mini mall on the corner of RB and Western Ave. I ordered the Oyakodon and soba noodle combo. Oyako (parent and child) because of the cooked eggs and chicken in this broth with thinly sliced onions and some pickled ginger over steamed rice. My daughter ordered the tempura (batter fried shrimp and vegetables) and hot udon noodles. The interior is old school Japan with a lot of blonde wood, partitions between tables but there are these odd paintings and pastels of various non-Japanese looking individuals and animals. It's a combination of aesthetics worthy of the Museum of Jurassic Technology. The Oyakodon was very good. It's comfort food, hot and filling. The quality of the food reminds me of the corner cafes in Japan, where it's no-nonsense cooking to get you in and out briskly. My favorite element of this place is the Enka music. Enka is traditional Japanese post war pop. It's a hybrid music of Japanese folk, big band and Chanson. The singing resembles blues music but often it's in a minor key. I grew up listening to this style of music with my family and it creates a specific mood for me that goes very well with the food.

Comments

Popular Posts