La Palapa in Highland Park






Mooey Moobau and I needed to meet about this project we're doing on the animals sent into outer space. He suggested La Palapa near his house which is located at 5560 Figueroa Ave, LA CA. First we ordered ice cream. They serve Thrifty's. Now, I know that's not a fancy cuisine ice cream but I grew up with Thrifty's (and Carnations) so I love eating it. I had Rock Road, simple no nonsense and delicious. We talked up a storm about our project and were still hungry an hour later so we ordered their special fruit shakes. MM got the Vampiro which is a beet-based drink. I got the Diablito, which is also juices but with mango ice cream, chili, melons and a chili stick. I didn't exactly understand what i was ordering but the name sounded so cool, especially with May 21 coming up. When it was ready, I stared at it and almost chickened out. Guess what? It's nowhere near as spicy as it looks. It's mostly salty and man it was really REALLY good. Have you ever had a salted plum? It shows up a lot in Asian desserts. Japanese eat it like a condiment. It's especially popular if you have an upset stomach. That's kind of what this drink is like.

Comments

Popular Posts