Fromin's in Santa Monica





My friend has been telling me that Fromin's has the best matzo ball soup in WLA. I wanted to meet Jim Fox of Code Blue Records for months, who lives on the Westside, because he's been introducing Ear Meal webcast to many of his amazing composers. So I killed two birds with one stone today. I met Jim at Fromin's for lunch. Jim had the corned beef sandwich and I ordered the matzo ball soup and potato pancakes. The matzo ball soup had noodles and the chicken soup was very subtle. The potato pancakes were a little dense? I don't know how else to describe them. They weren't fresh with crunchy edges. I liked what I ate but I wasn't convinced this was the best in LA. Discussing it with Jim, it really comes down to personal preference. There so many subtle adjustments you can make with matzo ball soup and potato pancakes. For instance, he feels that the Carnegie Deli in NY has the best corned beef sandwich and pickles but he said if you say that to most NY folk, they will disagree and claim another place in NY has the best. Fromin's was fairly packed so I'm sure it's the favorite for a lot of people. I have my favorites but I wonder if they are my favorites because they are one of the first places I had i.e. potato pancakes. Nostalgia is always more delicious.

Comments

Jessia said…
Congrats on 500 milestone! Now that's a lot dining! Time for a Best Of list!
CAFE LA LA said…
Actually, it's 600 not 500. 500 is so 2010. Ha ha!

Popular Posts