Bahay Kubo Restaurant




Have you ever seen those T-Shirts that are a spin off of the Got Milk campaign? I like the one that says Got Adobo? Adobo is a brown stew with garlic that usually has beef, chicken or pork in it. It's usually cooked so long that the meat just falls off the bone. Over some rice, it is an amazing comfort food made possible by the amazing culture of the Philippines. Got Adobo? Bahay Kubo Restaurant does. Located at 2330 West Temple Street, LA CA 90026, 213-413-4804, they are just minutes west of downtown LA. I was there with my buddy Pauline and her, I and another customer at another table were the only non-Philippinos in the whole lunch crowd. Between the two of us we had beef stews, adobo, pansed (noodles and vegetables) and this out of the world dessert, Halo Halo. Not too sweet but sweet enough, the Halo Halo has vanilla ice cream on top of crushed ice which tops a selection of sweet noodles, jello like shapes, custard tasting bits and sweet beans. It reminded us of a similar drink they have at Vietnamese places but it's not as sweet. This place is someplace I highly recommend. It's like you're over at your friends Auntie's, who likes you, and has invited you to stay for a meal. It feels like that inside.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am glad a non filipino enjoyed the food especially from this very good place
CAFE LA LA said…
adobo is one of the universal soul foods. I think anyone who enjoys comfort food can enjoy it and I wish more people would get hip to it. YES!

Popular Posts