Sake House (Miro)


I've passed by this place for at least five years, maybe more.

There's this part of me that feels that I will never experience a wonderful Japanese sake house outside of Japan, so why bother? (I have a lot of baggage and issues) Oh well. Finally, someone recommended it to me, oh yeah, it was an article about sake. So I walked in with some band mates one night this year, still convinced it wasn't going to deliver.

Sake House, 809 South La Brea Avenue, LA CA 90036, 323-939-7075, did deliver. Not to sound racist but my guard went down when I realized that the waitresses where all Japanese and much of the clientele was Japanese. (Where'd all you guys come from, the Westside? Torrance?) Anyway, the decor is so nostalgic. There's a nod to 60's and 70's Japanese Pop films, shita-machi vernacular, two high-def screens, and the bgm has an occasional JPop playing, like Tubes, Misia or JAM.

The side dishes, all the favs, are there. Ika-yaki, tako-yaki, sushi, etc. They even have ochazuke. How cool is that? Last night, it wasn't on the menu but I asked if they could make a natto-maki and they did (thank you!!!). My friend ate it but she said she won't be ordering that anytime soon. It's an acquired taste. I explained to her that it's a culinary civil war. Half of Japan eats it for breakfast, the other half doesn't recognize it as a food. I love it! It's got a a hearty okra sensation with sticky rhythms.

Oh yes, the sake. They have a decent sake selection. I recommend ordering glasses of each with friends (a taste test) and noting which ones you like and don't like. Stumble out, sober up and return to fully enjoy the one you discovered before.

HINT: If you aren't sure, asked which sake is the most popular. That way, you can be sure they replace that sake more than the others and it is more likely to be fresh. SAKE MUST BE FRESH, cold sake over hot any day of the year, and lastly, always drink with friends and/or enemies.

Comments

Lori2go said…
I would agree with you that SAKE house is a fine establishment. My spicy tuna roll was perfect. Very homey. Loved the Sake.
CAFE LA LA said…
It's changed a bit for about a year or so. It's a lot noisier in there and the service isn't as hospitable. Too much business can dampen things sometimes. I need to go back and give it another try.

Popular Posts