Phillppe, the original



Several years ago, it was settled. Who started the French Dip? Was it Cole's or Phillippe's idea? Phillippe's won. it's located at1001 North Alameda Street LA CA 90012, on the east-end of LA's Chinatown.

Phillippe's is an institution and a kind of history museum of sorts. Sawdust on the floor, staff with a great sense of humor and one of the best candy stands in the City.

Here's my lunch from this afternoon. A turkey with bluecheese (I'm kind of sleepy now, oh oh), double dipped and then I put a lot of the Phillippe's mustard on it. You can buy the mustard in jars. I think it has horseradish in it?. It's one of my favs. It reminds me of wasabi.

I also ordered the beautiful magenta pickled egg, which I also slap the mustard on. It's as intense as it is tasty.

Also, tapioca pudding, potato salad, and chili was on plate today. I often select the beef stew but not today. It's really good and hearty. The soup is thin but the vegetable and beef portions are on the large side. It's classic Downtown LA.

Comments

Unknown said…
I am not a big fan of phillipes' sandwiches but you're right about their mustard!
CAFE LA LA said…
I like it once in while.

Popular Posts