Ana Maria




One of my most favorite foods that represents LA to me is the gordita at Ana Maria, Grand Central Market, 4th and Hill in Downtown LA. It's in the middle of the market and during lunch, will have a crowd in front of it. The photo you see was taken around 11:45 AM. There's already three layers of line. Amazing, isn't it?

Standing in line at Ana Maria is both entertaining and frustrating. The preparers hustle their butts off. It's crazy back there. They tend to take orders faster from those who speak Spanish or those in suit in ties, of which neither category fits me. They aren't mean about it but it's obvious. They will take your order eventually. Once, I waited ten minutes in front of the line before someone decided to take my order. You must be patient. The gordita is worth the wait.

The gorditas are wrapped in a fried thick tortilla like pocket. There's salsa, cream, lettuce, onions, tomato and cilantro with the Al pastor (seasoned shredded pork). Today, I ordered it with Al Pastor but I usual get it with chicken. When I ordered it "Al Pastor", the Latino man in back of me said "Al Pastor?" Like he couldn't believe the little Asian dude knew what Al Pastor was. He gave me an energetic smile and we waited for my order. Nice guy, tough. We both agreed that Ana Marie was some of the best mexican food in town.

It's not a large item but it fills me up. I learned years ago to just order one gordita. It still surprises me that one can fill me up. It's got a lot of magic. I'm often the guy who everyone at the table gives their leftovers to. I'm kind of proud of that.

Comments

Popular Posts