Bob's Big Boy



Last night after seeing a movie, my son and I were hungry. I told him anywhere he wants to eat, I'll drive us there. My kids and I eat out a lot, as you can imagine. We were driving down Wilshire and he pointed and said, "What about there?".

Bob's Big Boy, 5050 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90036, 323-939-3317, is someplace my mom used to bring my brother and I when we were little. Much like I miss my brother being my little brother, I miss my son being my little son. He's 15 now and is already taller than me. We both love to go to the movies and we both love to eat.

back in the day, Carnations used to be right across the street and my Mom, brother and I would eat there too, switching back and forth depending on our moods. The Carnations is long gone but the Big Boys is still there. It hasn't changed much except for the fact that the statue of the Big Boy is inside the place now. I guess it got vandalized one too many times.

For old times sake, I ordered the Big Boy Original Combo with fries and a salad ($6.65).

Now, it's common for our tastes to change or mature over the years and certainly mines had. It wasn't as much fun anymore to eat the combo. The hamburger was too soft when I bit into it but the combination of flavors was still great and nostalgic. They put a red relish on the burger that is really good. The fries were mediocre and the salad reminds you of a time when salads were just salads and not the meals we see nowadays. I'm sorry, am I complaining? Am I sounded like any other OG who gets too sentimental? I'm just saying....

So I didn't even finish my burger, which is really unusual for me. So what to do?

I was looking over the menu and like bumping into an old friend, I caught a picture of the banana split. Like the Cavalry, it was the B-Split to the rescue. I had a scoop of Rocky Road Ice Cream earlier that day but was that going to stop me? NO!

Sometimes you gotta to just do what you gotta do.

Oh, by the way, the ice cream in the B-Split was Thrifty's. That brings it all home, doesn't it?

Comments

Popular Posts